INDUSTRY WARNED TO ENSURE BOTTOMLESS PROMOTIONS DO NOT ENCOURAGE IRRESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION
25 October 2023
Having received nine complaints about ‘bottomless brunch’ type promotions, the Independent Complaints Panel which oversees the joint industry Responsible Promotion and Retail of Alcohol Code has issued a warning to hospitality premises that they must ensure promotions do not encourage people to drink more than they would have otherwise intended.
The Code which has been produced on a voluntary basis, outlines the basic standards expected of those involved in the production, promotion, retail, and service of alcohol in Northern Ireland.
Due to the growing popularity of ‘bottomless’ promotions, the Independent Complaints Panel has issued guidance to the nine individual venues and the wider industry with a sample set of Terms and Conditions that should always accompany these types of promotions.
Duncan McCausland, Chairman, Responsible Promotion and Retail of Alcohol NI, said:
“Whilst the Code recognises that these types of promotions are a novel way of providing customers with a ‘value’ offer, it is extremely important that venues and business owners do not encourage the consumption of an irresponsible amount of alcohol, or buoy people to drink more than they would have otherwise intended.
The term ‘bottomless’ cannot actually mean unlimited drinks and therefore, ‘bottomless’ promotions must include terms and conditions which clearly stipulate the limitations of the offer and the responsible service measures in place”.
Sample Terms & Conditions to bottomless type promotions should include:
- “Bottomless” does not mean an unlimited supply of alcoholic drinks.
- We reserve the right to refuse service to customers who in our opinion appear to be intoxicated.
- Drinks included in the offer must be served with food. Customers cannot use the promotion for drinking purposes only.
- During the promotion, drinks will only be served in standard measures.
- All drinks included in the offer are served by table service only, or with alternative management controls that ensure responsible consumption.
- Customers are only allowed to have one drink at a time under the promotion. A customer will not be served until he/she has finished the drink they have.
- Post promotion drinks are sold at the prevailing price.
More information can be found here: http://www.responsibleretailingcodeni.org/