BELFAST ALERT - UPDATE ON NI CENTENARY PARADE
24 May 2022
Please see the below for an update on the NI NI Centenary Parade - Saturday 28th May 2022
Timings of the parade remain the same.
- 1.00pm – the parade will leave Stormont arriving in the city centre at 2.30pm
- 2.30pm – 6.00pm the parade will take over 3 hours for all bands to arrive
Public Transport Servicing: -
Traffic flow through the city centre will be impacted from 2pm onwards. Translink servicing of routes will be relocated as follows:
- East bound buses – pick up from Chichester Street
- West bound buses – pick up from Wellington Place - When Wellington Place closes around 5pm, pick up will be from Francis Street (may move earlier)
- South bound buses – pick up from May Street
- North bound buses – pick up from Wellington Place - When Wellington Place closes around 5pm, pick up will be from Royal Avenue (may move earlier)
- Newtownards Road will be closed from 12pm. There is a parade prior to the NI Centenary Parade.
- The road will open between the parade passing towards the city centre and returning at approx. 7.30pm / 8.00pm
- Great Victoria Street will be closed to through traffic (not buses) from 1.30pm.
- The road will open after the southbound parades have passed through – probably after 8.00pm.
- May Street to Upper Arthur Street will be closed to through traffic (not buses) from 1.30pm.
- Wellington Place to Queen Street will be closed to through traffic (not buses) from 1.30pm.
- Donegall Square will be closed to all traffic from approx. 2pm.
- Rolling road closures will be in place along the route of the parade.
Please see the below map which indicates parade routes, roads impacted and relocated bus stops.
A number of multi-story car parks will be closed or have restricted access.
The following multi-story car parks will not be accessible from 2pm onwards due to road closures:
- Montgomery Street
- High Street Hi Park
- Donegall Quay Car Park
- Victoria Square car park will close at 2pm (this is subject to change as they may close earlier).
- CastleCourt car park will remain open until 8pm.
- Based on the parade routes, CastleCourt and Value Car Parks (Grosvenor Road) are the two multi-storey car parks closest to the city centre that should not have restricted access throughout the day.
Servicing; Public Toilet Provision & City Centre Cleansing:
- Please be aware that after 2pm, there will be significant disruption to any planned servicing or deliveries to your businesses.
- It may be beneficial to make alternate arrangements.
- Hospitality businesses utilising Deliveroo / Uber etc may also be impacted.
- The event organisers are providing 40 portaloos in the city centre.
- The majority will be located at the City Hall, with the remainder on all streets south where buses will take bands back to their home lodges.
- Currently a number of Belfast City Council public toilets are closed, this includes City Hall, Church Lane and Winetavern Street.
- We all need to put some pressure on Belfast City Council to have these opened.
- Belfast City Council has committed to ensuring a cleansing team will be in operation after the parade has passed to ensure the city centre is cleaned to support the Night Time Economy & Sunday trading.
Please note these may be subject to change
Few businesses will be trading all day e.g.
- Boots (9am – 6pm), all Tesco Expresses (6am – 8pm); Gordons (9am – tbc)
The majority of businesses who open will close early e.g.
- CastleCourt (4pm) & Victoria Square (2.30pm)
- Primark; Marks & Spencer (2pm);
- Carrolls & Paperchase (1pm)
- Grand Opera House – both 2.30pm & 7.30pm shows going ahead
- Starbucks (4pm)
- Deers Head (normal)
- Mc Donalds will be open throughout the weekend