Showing of Broadcast TV Programmes and Film in Public

Showing of Broadcast TV Programmes and Film in Public

18 October 2017

Following recent changes to Section 72 of the Copyright, Designs & Patents Act 1988, the showing of broadcast television programmes and film in public now requires a licence.

Previously there has been exemption for showing films via free-to-air services– e.g., if you have a TV in a lounge or bar that plays films on channels such as BBC or ITV. However, there has been a requirement on the UK Government to remove that exemption to bring UK copyright law into line with European copyright law.  

As a result, if films or TV programmes – whether broadcast on television or on home entertainment (i.e. DVD/Blu-Ray) or viewed from the Internet are shown in hotels, bars, restaurants, pubs, shops, clubs or other similar premises, a licence will now be required.

There are a number of main organisations who issue these licenses, including the Motion Picture Licensing Company.


To read the full guidance- click HERE